Sunday, March 20, 2011

Give Me Your People

            Last summer I spent a month in Spain traveling and walking a 130-mile pilgrimage (my writing from that trip is in the older posts on this blog).  I stated my intention of my trip very clearly to others and myself.  I wanted to let God sweep me off my feet all over again.  He did.  On the trip I had many small epiphanies, the one I enjoyed the most was at the end of my trip as I reflected a bit on my life.

I thought about standing high upon the Rocky Mountains in Salt Lake City, looking out into a sea of giant snowcapped peaks.  I thought about recently seeing the Alhambra in Granada, Spain, with its amazing architecture, gardens, and fountains.  I remembered the Mayan ruins I saw in Mexico, the ancient stones still sitting so firmly held together.  I thought back to the majesty and power of the Niagara Falls as the water crashed down it sounded like thunder around us.  I thought about the Camino De Santiago (the pilgrimage I had been walking on) and all of the beautiful fields, mountains, plains, and flowers I saw.  As I continued to ponder I remembered the sands of the Jamaican beaches I got to visit three times on mission work in high school and how blue the ocean was in that geographical paradise.  With my mind on beauty I think now of the Golden Dome at Notre Dame, I have not been a Fighting Irish for long but seeing Our Lady shine so bright as she basks in the sun makes my tummy feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  After considering all of these things I first have to humbly admit how amazingly blessed that I have been.  These opportunities to travel are blessings that I do not deserve but that have been given to me by God in His infinite generosity.  Yes, I am blessed, I know that full well but I will admit that is not the main realization that I had in Spain. 

I realized that on the Rocky Mountains I was less concerned with the gigantic rocks in front of me and more concerned by the priest that had taken me up the mountain.  He had left a life of financial success to embrace service to God’s people.   At the Alhambra I have to admit I was kind of bored.  I got more entertainment from the University of Michigan graduate that I had met who thought that a picture of a fountain in a red circle with a red line through it meant that the water was OK to drink.  At the Mayan ruins I did not listen to any of the historical facts because I was too enthralled with my conversation with a fellow missionary about how to achieve purity as honorable Christian men.  I had a great time at the Niagara Falls but it was not because of the water, it was because of the laughter I shared with my brothers in community at the time.  Our boss had told us how wonderful the priest’s house was we were going to be visiting.  He said that the priest had a beautiful balcony and that the house was full of things people had thrown out and he had turned into furniture or art.  I said, “Someone threw out a balcony?”  And the guys and I joked about it for weeks.  Their laughter brought me a deep and pure joy.  The scenery of the Camino was wonderful but what I enjoyed so much more was talking to my Swedish friend I had made; a six foot, four inch head mistress named June who was very proper but happened to love the band KISS.  The beaches of Jamaica really were beautiful but what was more beautiful was how instantaneous brotherhood was sparked between Jamaicans and Americans by a simple game of beach soccer.  Our Lady dressed in gold at Notre Dame is surely an awe inspiring sight but the golden dome could never shine like the saints I ate, prayed, and studied with last summer.

My realization in Spain was that I LOVE PEOPLE, I really, absolutely, completely, 100% love people and the truth is I always have.  I talk to people everywhere I go, pretty much non-stop.  I carry it as my mission to never leave someone in a worse or neutral place after interacting with me.  I try so hard to read them and find some way to lift them up.  Pope John Paul II said that he (paraphrasing) viewed of each person he met as a gift entrusted to Him by God (Rise Let Us Be On Our Way).  All of God’s creation is beautiful and “very good” (Gen 1:31) but God’s greatest creations are His children.  People travel thousands of miles on planes to see beautiful geographical sights but they miss out on the fact that God’s greatest masterpieces are sitting all around them.  There is not a tourist sight in the world that could move my heart more powerfully than my unborn nephew will when I hold him in my arms for the first time.

In my imperfection I rarely respect people as much as I should, sometimes in my head I will critique what someone is saying.  When I am really lost I will judge a person for something they say or do and allow myself to forget that God has something He wants to reveal to me through them. These negative reactions of mine break my heart, I try to catch myself and realize that in front of me stands a precise treasure made in the “image and likeness” of God (Gen. 1:26) with an immortal soul and a body that will be resurrected and eternal one day.  I should love them always and never be distracted by anything less than love (See John 13:34-35).  If God Almighty came to me and said, “Daniel, while you are on earth you can have anything you would like.”  I pray my response would be, “Lord, give me Your people to serve and please help me in my attempt to wash their feet.”

            During Lent I have been trying to thank God for gifts I have been given.  I believe my extroverted-ness and pretty good communicating skills are great gifts to help me love and serve people.  If you feel called, reflect on gifts that God has given you and think about how you can use them to serve Him.  I would be so honored to hear about them on this blog or at hooverd2@gmail.com.  May all glory be to God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

No comments: